[Koha] Server edition or Desktop edition

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Wed Dec 29 19:44:45 NZDT 2010

There's actually nothing that isn't packaged for squeeze, hence robin's
recommendation. Squeeze plus the koha packages at
debian.koha-community.orgwill give you an installed system without
having to use anything other than
packages.

For ubuntu lucid its the same except some of the packages are in the
multiverse.

Btw we are actually releasing monthly, for maintenance releases, and 6
monthly for feature releases but none of them should require an OS upgrade.

Chris

On 29 Dec 2010 19:29, <david at lang.hm> wrote:

Robin Sheat said:

> kazi noman schreef op zo 26-12-2010 om 23:54 [-0800]:
>>
>> Either Ubuntu serve...
Ubuntu has a 18 month support cycle, so you only have to upgrade once a year
to remain on a supported version.

But Debian/Ubuntu upgrades are pretty seamless anyway. Koha has a few
dependancies that aren't pre-packaged (and will therefor require some manual
attention at update time), but not much.

Given that (as I understand things) Koha is planning for twice a year
releases, you probably should be upgrading at least once a year anyway.

David Lang
kazi noman schreef op zo 26-12-2010 om 23:54 [-0800]:
> Either Ubuntu server 9.04 and later version edition  OR  desktop
> edition of any ubuntu version esp 9.10 or later
>
> what about Debian and OpenSuse and Redhat Linux

My recommendation would be Debian Squeeze and using the Debian
packages.

If not that, Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS. I'd not suggest using a non-LTS
Ubuntu, unless you're OK with upgrading every 6 months (which is not fun
in a server environment.)

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.