[Koha] Server edition or Desktop edition

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Wed Dec 29 19:29:10 NZDT 2010

Robin Sheat said:

>kazi noman schreef op zo 26-12-2010 om 23:54 [-0800]:
>> Either Ubuntu server 9.04 and later version edition  OR  desktop
>> edition of any ubuntu version esp 9.10 or later
>>
>> what about Debian and OpenSuse and Redhat Linux
>
>My recommendation would be Debian Squeeze and using the Debian
>packages.
>
>If not that, Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS. I'd not suggest using a non-LTS
>Ubuntu, unless you're OK with upgrading every 6 months (which is not fun
>in a server environment.)

Ubuntu has a 18 month support cycle, so you only have to upgrade once a
year to remain on a supported version.

But Debian/Ubuntu upgrades are pretty seamless anyway. Koha has a few
dependancies that aren't pre-packaged (and will therefor require some
manual attention at update time), but not much.

Given that (as I understand things) Koha is planning for twice a year
releases, you probably should be upgrading at least once a year anyway.

David Lang