[Koha] data import tools

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Mon Dec 20 08:29:20 NZDT 2010

Oops, I didn't notice that my response didn't go to the entire list. The
message I am quoting responds to a message that didn't make it to the list.
Sorry about that. Remainder of reply inline.

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM, <david at lang.hm> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010, Jared Camins-Esakov wrote:
>
>  David,
>>
>> Speaking as a librarian...
>>
>> I have some books that I have in multiple formats (paperback, hardcover,
>>
>>> plus several e-book formats), how can I tag these appropriately? the MARC
>>> records that I've found seem to be just for the hardcover edition.
>>>

>> As a general rule, paperback and hardcover copies that were issued *at the
>> same time* go on the same record, without any format/genre note.
>> Traditionally paperback books were bound by the library for preservation
>> reasons. Often later paperback editions go into the same record as well,
>> at
>> least in public libraries. Ebook records are kept separate, and usually
>> purchased from the vendor.
>>

> that makes sense.
>

>  In practical terms, the thing to do would probably be to create separate
>> item types for each format, and just use one record, even though that's
>> not
>> really the "proper" way to do it. I'm imagining you don't want to do a lot
>> of original cataloging for ebook records.
>>

> no, I don't see any purpose in having different MARC records if I can
> reference one and have different item types.
>
> any pointers to how to put in the e-book file?
>
> I can put a URL to retrieve the book in the URL field of the item record,
> but doing so just lets someone download it rather than check it out (and one
> of the big reasons for messing with a full library at this point is to be
> able to loan out e-books to friends so that there is only one copy out at a
> time rather than just creating a website where they can download them)

This will be challenging. Most e-book providers (and I'm pretty sure by
"most" I actually mean "all e-book providers that use DRM") provide a
platform which enforces any viewing limits, leaving libraries to merely
provide a link. However, if you are checking books out, it means that a
person (presumably you) is involved in the process at the point of checkout.
I tried adding a non-public note to an item, but the note does not show up
at any point during the checkout process. It might be possible to add this.
I'm not sure. I've never used Koha in a circulating library, so perhaps
someone else will have an idea.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Freelance bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/