[Koha] data migration from excel to koha

Koustubha Kale kmkale at anantcorp.com
Fri Dec 17 17:58:35 NZDT 2010

Hi,
You can use the excellent tool MarcEdit for this. Get it from
http://people.oregonstate.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/index.php

This article used to be in the old wiki. Has disappeared in the
transfer. Will update there soon, but for now see below..

How to migrate from a delimited text file to Koha :

Get a nice CSV file :

First get your data organized in MS-Excel. Things we had to watch out
for were: date formats to match your Koha / mysql date formats,
barcode, itemtype, library branch. We had to add last three to the
Excel data. Also watch out for common things like quote, comma, tab
marks & any unusual characters in your data. Clean up the data
thoroughly.

Then save the Excel file as Unicode text. Excel saves as a tab
delimited file in Unicode. We need UTF-8. So you need some text editor
which can save the file as UTF-8, like EditPlus or Kate (on Linux)

Convert with MarcEdit :

After you have saved the file as UTF-8 text, start the Delimited Text
translation Wizard from the MarcEdit program group. On the second
screen give imput and output (i/p and o/p) filenames, leave the
delimiter to tab, put text qualifier if any in your text file, click
on Edit LDR/008 select LDR dropdown appropriate to your data. Select
UTF-8 encoded checkbox.

On next screen you have to build a mapping from your Excel file
columns to Koha marc tags. Trick is to click in the Select Field 0
drop box and while it is selected type your corresponding marc tag in
the map to text box. then click apply. Once you have mapped all
columns in your Excel file to Koha marc tags, click on save template
so you can reuse it next time you import data in the same Excel format
and click finish. It will save your template as a .mrd file and create
a .mrk file of your text data.

Open the .mrk file in MarcEdit by double clicking it and simply click
on the Compile Records button. This will compile all your records and
give you a .mrc file.
Import to Koha

In Koha go to tools – > Stage marc records for import, select your
.mrc file set record matching rules needed and click the big button.
This will import the data in staging area and take you to a summary
page which will have a link to manage the imported records. Click the
link select record matching conditions needed and import the staged
records in to the database..

Reindex your database by running misc/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl
-b -w ( or by running misc/migration_tools/rebuild_nozebra.pl if not
using zebra. )

Regards,
Koustubha Kale
Anant Corporation

Contact Details :
Address  : 103, Armaan Residency, R. W Sawant Road, Nr. Golden Dyes
Naka, Thane (w),
                Maharashtra, India, Pin : 400601.
TeleFax  : +91-22-21720108, +91-22-21720109
Mobile     : +919820715876
Website  : http://www.anantcorp.com
Blog : http://www.anantcorp.com/blog/?author=2