[Koha] Curious searching problem with zebra

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Dec 17 11:38:13 NZDT 2010

* Bob Ewart (bob-ewart at bobsown.com) wrote:
> Thanks Kurt,
>
> the 245 indicators are 0 0 on all three.  I tried 'or the band played
> on' with no success either.
>
> I did install koha on a freshly installed openSUSE 11.3 32-bit system
> with no change in the results.
>
> When people say to turn stopwords off, is that 'Ignore' or 'Don't
> ignore'?  Shouldn't make a difference, since it's not supposed to apply
> to zebra.
>
> I just tried to search on 'and' and got nothing with either setting of
> the QueryRemoveStopwords preference.
>
> At this point I'm stumped.  I guess I'll just have to tell my librarians
> to not use the word 'and' in searches.

Its not quite that bad. (still bad I'll grant you :))

Check this out

http://opac.koha.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=fast+simple

http://opac.koha.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=fast+and+simple

http://opac.koha.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=and+simple

So there is definitely a bug with and .. but only at the start of the
phrase. There must be something in our search code that is telling zebra
that that isn't part of the search but is a boolean operator instead.

Could you please go to bugs.koha-community.org and file a bug for this
with as much detail as you can manage. And someone will get onto fixing
it.

Chris