[Koha] Course Reserves Modules

Joel Harbottle joel.harbottle at hotmail.com.au
Mon Dec 6 15:13:29 NZDT 2010

Hi All,
It would be great to see a 'Course Reserve' (or 'Reserve Bookroom') module in the next release of Koha.
In our previous ILS, we utilised a Course Reserve module and since migrating to Koha have lost that functionality.
At present, to get some sort of functionality which resembles a Course Reserve module for our libraries, I created a new Collection for each Library in Koha called: Reserve
If someone wants to put an item on a Reserve we just go into the particular items Holdings Record in Koha and change the Collection from its current collection (e.g. Non-Fiction) to Reserve.
The following has nothing to do with the subject of this email, but I thought I would add it anyway.
In our libraries, we also have a Collection in Koha called: eReserve
With this collection when we catalogue eBooks, if we hold the physical text of the item in our Reserve collection we will put the eBook in eReserve.
Therefore, you will get:
Physical Text (Book) - Collection: ReserveeBook - Collection: eReserve
Also, we put in our eReserve collection PDF scans of particular chapters of high use material. This PDF document is stored on a central server for all libraries, and a short Bibliographic record and generic Holdings Record created for it in Koha, with the link to the document. - (Note, because of Copyright Law's we don't allow our patrons to save any copies of this PDF document.)
I just thought I would put that out there. - If you are interested in further details about our generic Reserve and eReserve collections in Koha, or further details about how we operate eReserve, feel free to contact myself off list at: Joel.Harbottle at hotmail.com.au.

Kindest Regards,Joel

Joel HarbottleEmail: Joel.Harbottle at hotmail.com.au