[Koha] Error: Can't call method "append_fields"

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Aug 26 22:37:47 NZST 2010

Geovana de Paula Santos Tarricone wrote:
>    I've been istalled Koha 3.0.0 and all times I try to catalog, this error
> message appears: Can't call method "append_fields" on an undefined value at
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/MARC/File/SAX.pm line 92.
> Apache Server version: Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server built: Apr 13 2010
> 19:28:27 Koha 3.00.00.107 Koha DB 3.0000107 MySQL mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib
> 5.1.41, for debian-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 6.1 OS Linux koha
> 2.6.32-24-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 5 09:22:14 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
> Perl 5.010001
>
> Someone could help me? What should I do to catalog?

Most recently when I saw this it was an encoding error in the MARC
record supplied from another database.  That caused the MARCXML
record to be truncated and when Koha uses MARC/File/SAX to read
the record back in, it fails with that error message.

The solution is to fix the character error and rebuild the MARCXML.
If you're lucky, that can be done by doing an "Edit Record" and
removing any junk characters.  If you're unlucky and the record editor
refuses to load it, you'll need to edit the marc and marcxml fields in
the biblioitems table.

I think it can also happen if the server character encodings are not
consistently utf-8, but I think following the installation
instructions would have avoided that?

Good luck!
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha