[Koha] slow response time

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Aug 20 10:23:33 NZST 2010

* Rachel Hollis (Rachel.Hollis at stevenshenager.edu) wrote:
> Greetings friends, our Koha 3 has about 5600 items and 1400 biblios; some biblios have 100s of items. We are experiencing very slow response times with transactions involving biblios with many items. We have many circulations for a day or two once a month and some titles take several minutes to check-in or out, while our patrons wait in line.
>
> According to my geek, Zebra (version 2.0.32) appears to rebuild the item index for either the entire database or the biblio (my area of fuzziness) after each transaction. Is this the way Zebra is supposed to operate? If so, is there a way to rebuild indexes overnight? If there is another solution, we'd love to hear it.

Are you running the zebraqueue_daemon ? If so, don't. Run the the
rebuild_zebra.pl script using cron at a suitable interval. Having said
that, Koha doesn't spawn the reindex at circ, it puts in a queue that
another process then uses.

So I doubt it is zebra that is the problem in this case, unless zebra is
reindexing so much that it is cases too much I/O and stopping mysql
being able to work.

Much more likely is the fact that the marc record is updated at
circulation, and that is slower with larger marc records (ones with
100's of items attached) than with smaller records.

We plan to shift the item level data back out of the main record, so
that no longer happens, but only the individual item is changed (not the
entire record). And instead combine them for index/export. This will be
in the 3.4.0 release.

So in summary, don't run zebraqueue_daemon, run rebuild_zebra.pl as a
cronjob at some interval you decide on, but I dont think zebra is the
issue.

> We are running Koha 3.01.00.001 on Debian Etch with Zebra on a P4 beater box running right next to my desk, available only on the intranet. We use Google Chrome as our interface to Koha.

Thats a really really old version of 3.1.x, upgrading won't change this
issue, but it will certainly fix hundreds of other bugs.

I guess you are waiting for the release candidate (3.1.x is the
development number for 3.2.x)

Chris