[Koha] whatis kohaclone, C4, and HEAD

Nelson Fredsell (nelsonf) nfredsell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 02:03:33 NZST 2010

Hello all,

As I slowly look under the hood of our koha installation I end up with many
questions floating over my head. I am sure that this only happens to me :-).
Anyway, I am creating a cheat sheet that references all the directories that
relate directly to koha, on my server.  Today I am particularly interested
to know the purpose of /opt/kohaclone/..  and /opt/kohaclone/C4/..  (I also
see /usr/share/koha/lib/C4/..)  Perhaps kohaclone is a mirror of some sort -
which makes me wonder what process initiates the mirror, eg. cron, and why I
need this mirror.

I once read that C4 related to work the kiwis were doing long ago, during
early development years, and has some humor attached.  In 2010, it seems
that C4 continues to be central to the program, but I'd  like to know how it
relates to the rest of the Koha progam.

Finally, what does HEAD mean, and where can I find it?  I think it has
something to do with the git versioning system used by developers to
collectively keep track of improvements and bugfixes...  I've seen the folks
on IRC use this term.  I would guess that HEAD means the most current stable
branch of the software program.  Could you have a HEAD for 3.0.x and HEAD
for 3.2.x?  Here -- http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=summary
-- I find multiple HEADS, but I presume that the "master" head may be the
one typically referenced.

For those of you still reading this epistle, today I discovered that a
searchable! public log exists for the #koha IRC:
http://stats.workbuffer.org/irclog/koha/today.  Yet another mine of Koha
information...

Thanks very much!

Nelson

implementing a small union catalog in Cape Town, South Africa
nelsonf on IRC.

-----
Nelson Fredsell

nelsonf on Koha IRC
nfredsell most everywhere else
implementing a small, non-profit union catalogue
in Cape Town, South Africa