[Koha] OPAC issue reported by patron

Rich Boulet rboulet at bluehill.lib.me.us
Wed Apr 21 07:28:28 NZST 2010

Hello everyone:

Any ideas what is happening on the patron side of things?  Are other
libraries getting similar complaints?  I don't think it is realistic to
expect patrons to use a different browser for our site.  Here is the setup:

A patron reported the following:

<snip>
I logged into my account and looked at the books I have checked out.

I clicked on My Reading History and was bounced out. I had to log in
again--and was automatically sent to My Reading History.

Next, I clicked on My Purchase Suggestions and the same thing
happened--bounced out, logged in, automatically sent to My Purchase
Suggestions.

I entered a new purchase suggestion, clicked Submit and the same thing
happened again, bounced out, logged in again, automatically sent to My
Purchase Suggestions.

[on] a new PC--about 2 weeks ago. Windows 7, 64 bit running IE8 (cipher
strength: 256 bit), browser accepts cookies, problem with website just
started today.

I don't have such a problem with other sites that I have to log on to,
including secure sites (banks, brokerage, etc.)
</snip>

I asked our support company and they responded:
<snip>
1. She may have too many programs running at the same time or need to clear
their cache and refresh.
2. Let her know Internet Explorer does not conform to Web Browser
development standards, I remember some of our customers had some really
squirrely issues with timeouts and data not loading properly when they used
IE. So we always recommend that libraries/patrons rely on another browser
(such as Mozilla) when using Koha.
</snip>

Our Koha config is:
Koha version: 	3.01.00.061
MySQL version: 	mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a, for debian-linux-gnu
(x86_64) using readline 5.2
Apache version: 	Server version: Apache/2.2.9 (Debian)
Zebra version: 	Zebra 2.0.40 (C) 1994-2009, Index Data ApS Zebra is free
software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are welcome to
change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions. SHA1 ID:
4c8c9cd1d57d8e72818afb85cf6e2d2ca6200804 Using ICU

Thank you very much,

Richard Boulet
Library Director
Blue Hill Public Library