[Koha] The Potential Death of Koha in Pennsylvania Libraries

Kurt Bodling kbodling at mountvernon.org
Tue Apr 20 03:39:27 NZST 2010

I used to work there (the State Library of Pennsylvania).  And I believe
that, technically, it is the "Office of Commonwealth Libraries" (OCL)
that would be in the authority position.  (The "Office" consists of two
"bureaus": the Bureau of State Library (BSL), and the Bureau of Library
Development (BLD).  BSL is a large library in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
BLD hands out money across the state, deals with certification, and
grants, and cooperative contracts, and so on.)

If your library wants to go it alone, I don't see how the OCL or BLD can
stop you.  But if your library doesn't play the game it won't get any of
the meager funds that are still available in an extremely tight state
budget.  That means you'd have to seek local funding to pay for things
(ILS, databases, ILL, etc.) that would have higher non-consortium
prices.  And few, if any, of the local systems in Pennsylvania can
afford to think of doing that.

And it's easier for the administrators in Harrisburg to decide on
something and then tell libraries that 'this is what we're supporting'.
As Kyle wrote, I too think it is 'a strictly financial decision.' Those
administrators don't necessarily "have that much authority over
individual libraries".  But they do hold the purse strings to an
ever-shrinking state purse.

It always comes back to who holds the purse strings.

My personal guess is that a Koha library in Pennsylvania could remain a
Koha library. It just won't be able to use the support system that the
state administrators are setting up for an Evergreen-based system.  But
that Koha library wasn't getting state support for its ILS beforehand,
so is there a loss?

Kurt Bodling
Technical Services Librarian
George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens