[Koha] Cost Analysis Information

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Thu Apr 8 05:53:14 NZST 2010

Here is our experience:

We have several libraries on campus. Only the main library (just under 8000
items) is on Koha at present, but all are slated to be moved over the next
year or two.

Hardware/OS:

Two Dual Core Pentium IIIs
1GB ram
70GB raid 1
Ubuntu Server 9.10

Cost: $0.00 (This server was taken out of service at a local dentists office
during an upgrade and donated to our school)

We "manually" cataloged all of our books by harvesting records from various
publicly available z3950 servers. Each record was edited for applicability
to our library and we also added data to some fields to enhance OPAC
content.

We used Koha's label module to generate all of our labeling. In order to
gain the functionality we felt was lacking in this module, we re-wrote the
entire module. By and large, the label creation was the least time-consuming
part of cataloging.

Barcode/spine labels were printed on a Ricoh AP400N network printer. There
is nothing magic about this brand/model. They would print as well on a $50
Brother or HP or <your_favorite_brand_goes_here>.

Working with the equivalent of one full-time cataloger and three part-time
catalogers putting in 40+ person-hours per week it took roughly 2.5 years to
touch all ~8K items. Keep in mind that we were also searching out and
editing bibs for each item as well.

I have no idea of what sort of $$ the labor translates into as some of this
was essentially volunteer time.

Our barcode scanner is a Metrologic MS9590 bought new for $183.00.

We began using the system for circulation about 3 weeks ago and have happy
library staff and patrons.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Christopher Nighswonger
Faculty Member
Network & Systems Director
Foundations Bible College & Seminary
www.foundations.edu
www.fbcradio.org
NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is
intended only for the use of the intended recipient, and may also be
protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC Sections
2510-2521. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication in error, please reply to the sender, and delete the original
message. Thank you.