[Koha] Help with setting up information to be displayed by catalog search

Brenner, Martin martin.brenner at whitfieldschool.org
Sat Apr 3 07:29:52 NZDT 2010

Hi Joe,

If you look on that .doc that I linked to in the beginning, it shows a walk
through. Granted, it is for Follett, so you may have to look information in
different spots. (
http://people.oregonstate.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/index.php<http://people.oregonstate.edu/%7Ereeset/marcedit/html/index.php>)

I would recommend a few things that I figured out only after working on it
for a while.

First- Take some practice data and run through the steps first (maybe about
10-20 marc records.) That way, you get a feel for what is happening and you
can import the small data set and see if it came through correctly without
having to get rid of too much data if it goes wrong.

Second- This might take extra time, but it will help out later. Don't export
ALL of the data from the old system. Export it in chunks according to the
item type. (Side note- you will have to define a few item types in Koha BK -
book, MV - video, etc.) This way, you can easily assign the item type to the
records without having to search through and figure out which is which in
the raw records.

Third- Don't be afraid to start fresh if you make a mistake in the process.
You, and everyone else in the library, will have to live with the data in
the system for a long time. If its slightly wrong, it will take a looong
time to go through item by item to fix things, It WIL take time to correct
in the front end it, but it will save a ton of time over the life span of
the system.

As for the reindexing part of your question, I am not as knowlegable about
that as many other people on the list, so I am adding the list back into the
conversation. (That way someone might find this information in the archives
later on if they need it.) I hope you don't mind.

Martin

Martin Brenner
Head Librarian
Whitfield School