[Koha] Fwd: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen foundation (again)

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Sep 22 21:39:22 NZST 2009

Joann Ransom <jransom at library.org.nz> wrote:
> I think forming a combined 'open source in libraries' foundation is
> definitely worth considering. I don't know much about Code4Lib as an
> organisation, but is that a body tat may have arole to play here? I need
> more information!

I thought code4lib was a conference, email list and website, not a
non-profit corporation, so turning that into a FOSS-for-libraries
association (please not a foundation) would be about the same amount
of work.

Sharing overheads would be good, but I wonder if the different history
of Evergreen may mean the communities are too different, that we would
be looking for different things.  For example, conferences and
extending development seem high on their list of priorities, but not
near the top of our doodle straw-poll.  That may just be because we've
had independent conferences and new developers often already.

Probably worth exploring though.  Anyone willing to try leading that
effort?  If so, please add it to
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=kohaheldbyfoundation
in the "New FOSS Libraries association or foundation" column.

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  LMS developer and webmaster at     | software