[Koha] post survey thoughts

Nicole Engard nengard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 08:38:33 NZST 2009

I think the problem with creating a foundation now is the amount of
time it takes and choosing a country and all that jazz.  Whereas if we
sign up with a custodian now and make it clear that this is just
temporary it gets us started and we can focus on forming our own
foundation over time.  Also forming our own foundation costs money -
so that means we have to wait until we have that ...

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Ben Ide <benide at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have filled out the survey and have some thoughts.
>>
>> #1 - I was asked to put 'form a foundation now' on the list of options
>> - but I thought we had decided on the chat that this was too time
>> consuming a process at this time and that we just wanted to find a
>> custodian for the time being while we go through the steps of forming
>> a foundation?
>>
>> #2 - Also, I copied the original list that we all gave MJ to create
>> his poll as priorities for the foundation we form - my question is -
>> do we want to focus on what we want the custodian org to do and then
>> come up with another survey later when we're ready to form a group
>> ourselves with questions of what it should do?
>
> So this would be a two step process?  Find someone to be a custodian
> now, and then form a foundation to take over custodial work?
>
> Even if you need a high level of responsiveness *now*, this might be a
> more difficult path than to just skipping to "create a foundation."
>
> And then there's the question of transferring rights and property a second time.
>
> Alternatively, I suppose the custodian organization could serve as the
> final destination.  There's some good names on the list.

I think the problem with creating a foundation now is the amount of
time it takes and choosing a country and all that jazz.  Whereas if we
sign up with a custodian now and make it clear that this is just
temporary it gets us started and we can focus on forming our own
foundation over time.  Also forming our own foundation costs money -
so that means we have to wait until we have that ...

>> #3 - What is an opensearch portal for Koha? :)
>
> (blink)  I thought you knew.  :-)
>
> Whatever it is, I'm all for it.  :-D

It was on MJ's original poll - I assume someone asked him to add it -
or that he knows what it is :)