[Koha] LibLime Enterprise Koha Q&A

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Sat Sep 19 05:44:37 NZST 2009

Reply inline:

On Thu, September 17, 2009 01:51, Owen Leonard wrote:

[...]

> I asked on the LibLime-users list:
>
>>> Will any contributions from the community be refused to LibLime
>>> customers?
>
> Josh responded:
>
>>> LibLime's goal is to include all quality contributions to Koha in
>>> LibLime
>>> Enterprise Koha, regardless of the source. Of course, contributions
>>> that do
>>> not meet our quality standards or that introduce bugs, will not be
>>> included.
>
> And I asked:
>
>> Will Liblime work to fix bugs in community contributions which prevent
>> them from being included?
 >>
>> If not, then LibLime Enterprise Koha is a fork of the official Koha.
>> The two will continue to diverge until no community contribution to
>> Koha will be able to be easily incorporated into LibLime's fork.
>
> His response:
>
>> The best way to ensure that LibLime Enterprise Koha and the official
>> Koha community
>> codebase do not diverge is to encourage community contributors to put
>> better controls
>> in place for controlling the quality assurance process and to reject
>> patches that introduce
>> bugs.
>
> I interpret this as meaning: If LibLime thinks a
> community-contributed, RM-approved patch is deemed "unstable," LibLime
> will reject it from LibLime Enterprise Koha.
>
> How is this not a fork?

It is my understanding that at least at one time concern over code quality
had motivated a degree of separateness from the community in LibLime code
development.  Accusations back and forth about code quality and
contribution level do not help to encourage a spirit of cooperation.

Concern about code quality is a serious issue but it needs cooperation to
address well.  Isolated development processes may protect against some
types of bugs but make other types of bugs more likely and ensures that
design issues are not as well considered as they would be with input from
a wider range of ideas.

All software has bugs and I know of severe bugs contributed to Koha by
most everyone who has been contributing a significant amount of code.
Some bugs are not necessarily obvious unless the code is available for
inspection.  Failing to expose code to the widest number of people merely
ensures that fewer bugs will be caught and that they will persist longer.

Free software is certainly about more than mere open source development
methodology.  Free software is about ensuring user freedom in software
allowing the user to control the software being used instead of merely
being subject to the software.  User freedom is maximised when the user
has the widest ability to modify and share code.  Lack of code sharing
restricts user freedom.

[...]

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme