[Koha] Liblime, Koha, BibLibre and FLOSS

Ben Ide benide at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 02:02:39 NZDT 2009

Hi, all.

I'm hoping to write a sort of "minority opinion" regarding the current
voting, but I thought I'd voice this concern now rather than waiting.

Please, please, please stop *reacting* to current events.  You do
yourselves and your future a disservice if you base large decisions on
a reactionary stance.

Instead, try to postulate current and future needs based on the
entirety of your history.  Try to anticipate future growth and
demands.  And above all, please think about your customer base, the
libraries who use Koha.  If you are not addressing their needs and
trends, you risk dooming this application and relegating all your work
to history's ashcan.

At the very least, you should not let your feelings about one company
push you in any direction.  If you do, you are essentially letting the
target of your feelings dictate your moves.

I know you've been talking about these changes for a while, but you
are acting now.  And it's your actions that are disconcerting.  And I
know that I'm a minority of one here, so I don't expect much sympathy.
 Just, please, think about what you are doing independently of current
events.

Thank you.
-- Ben