[Koha] Old koha.org bug

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Wed Oct 14 10:30:42 NZDT 2009

Reply inline:

Original Subject:  Re: [Koha] Defining community participation [was: Koha
demo linkson koha.org]
On Mon, October 12, 2009 20:51, Lenora Oftedahl wrote:

[...]

> Since LibLime has done a fix of sorts on the koha.org site as per
> requested, can we let that go as well?

LibLime have not made any requested changes to the koha.org website in
relation to the recent discussion about improperly linking to non-free
LibLime demonstrations which are not Koha.  The supposition that LibLime
had mad a partial change came from people who had not noticed a link which
had been broken or mislabelled since LibLime put up a new Plone based
version of the community website exclusively under LibLime control in May.

The 'demo' link in the central image with the medium blue background on
the homepage had been broken or mislabelled in the new website design.
Under the former website design, which had been used until May and which
is still available at http://old.koha.org , the central image demo link
had led to a showcase page with both live OPAC links and demonstration
links, http://old.koha.org/showcase/ .

In the new website, the 'demo' link in the central image with the medium
blue background on the homepage leads to the same relative page with only
live OPAC links, no demonstrations, http://koha.org/showcase/ .  The
central homepage link labelled 'demo' should merely be relabelled
'showcase' or something more appropriate.  The demonstration links on the
koha.org page are just under the central image with the medium blue
background labelled 'New Demo Sites'

I reported this issue amongst many others in May when the new koha.org
website was about to go live but I failed to report that the issue was
related to the image with the medium blue background so Joshua Ferraro had
not understood.  See section 3.1 in my reply to Joshua from May.about the
new website, http://tinyurl.com/yk6pv8d .  People have checked the
timestamps in Plone and no changes have been made to pages at koha.org
linking to demonstrations have been made for months.

There are many koha.org bugs which have been discussed on the mailing list
but not filed formally.  Most people may be too frustrated by the
exclusive control of LibLime to file such bugs.  I have not filed them
formally merely because I have lacked time to report them properly in
relation to other things which I have to do.

The LibLime demonstrations themselves have changed recently and now
feature non-free software for which no source code is available which is
not Koha.  I and others find the linking to non-free software described as
Koha from koha.org inappropriate but I agree that we should move forward
and form a foundation which can offer an alternative.  I assume that the
'move forward' part matches the other sentiments which you had expressed
in your message.

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D