[Koha] First things first for a Koha foundation

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Mon Oct 12 14:20:56 NZDT 2009

Nicole,

I certainly sense the urgency in the Koha community to move forward,
however, we should not make the same mistake which brings us to this
urgency in the first place.  A party acting with too little consultation
has left us with the problem which we are now facing.  We cannot solve
that problem by replacing one unilateral process with another.

Ultimately, much activity of the Koha community needs to be delegated to
representatives through a democratic process so that not every decision is
taken by the entire electorate.  Some basic questions will always need a
vote of the entire electorate.

If the design of previous ballots had not been so confused even given the
difficulty of designing questions so that they are both well understood
and neutral, then I might have less concern.  However, we have adopted no
formal process for good ballot design which might constrain mistakes such
as the ones which we have had and almost had on recent ballots.  Designing
ballots well can be tricky and the only criticism I make of those who have
designed recent ballots is not consulting widely enough about their
design.

The questions at issue in the foundation forming poll are not especially
contentious but the process is of vital importance.

1.  FUNDAMENTAL IMPORTANCE OF BALLOT DESIGN.

Ballot design is so vital to any democratic process that it should not
start with a small committee with no popular mandate for the task.  How
ballot questions are put naturally effects the outcome of any poll.
Failing to make the ballot design process democratic at the beginning
undermines the legitimacy and support being sought through an otherwise
democratic election process.

Leaving ballot design to a small committee alone, especially when the
whole electorate has not had an opportunity to choose the ballot design
committee or representatives understood to be charged with forming a
ballot design committee is a great mistake.  If the whole electorate
chooses a ballot design committee or representatives who's positions are
understood to include appointing a ballot design committee, then the
process could be demonstrably to be democratic.  However, this has not
happened.

2.  DEMOCRACY AND EFFICIENCY.

Open democratic consideration of questions is not intended to be a
maximally efficient process.  Open democratic consideration of questions
is intended to be a fair process which consults those affected by
questions at issue.

There is something less efficient than democracy.  A poll in which one is
uncertain of the meaning of the results because we are uncertain whether
the questions were well understood is less efficient than a democratic
process where the questions have at least been reasonably considered in
advance by those who are being asked to answer them in a ballot.  Racing
ahead with a closed ballot drafting process will be liable to retard
progress afterwards, not advance it.

3.  BALLOT CONSULTATION PROCESS.

You make the presumption that having general comment on the drafting of
the ballot would be an unreasonable and interminable process.  Yet you
have not asked how one might propose to conduct such a process.

Start a thread on final ballot drafting in the Koha list with some main
subject tag that may branch with variant subtopics.  Post the first draft
which your committee proposes and then give people a definite time limit
in which to comment.  Seven days may be a good time limit for the comment
period and I would not suggest that the design issues are so problematic
that any more than fourteen days should be set as the time limit.  Try to
post any revised drafts from the ballot design committee in the middle of
the time period.  The ballot committee members should certainly comment
themselves.

[I have several suggestions for the ballot upon which I am working.]

After the comment time period has expired, then have the ballot committee
produce a final version on which we will all vote.  Even if the comments
do not produce any changes in the final ballot produced by the ballot
committee, it will have given the electorate a genuine opportunity to
participate in how the poll is conducted.

There is nothing so vitally threatening to the Koha community that it will
cease to exist if we take a week of additional time to have open
participation in drafting a ballot on which everyone is being asked to
vote.

There will necessarily be many ad hoc legacy processes which will persist
until we have the time to consider and introduce more formal structures in
those areas where more formal structures are actually needed.  We should
not start by undermining the popular voice in how a popular vote is
conducted.

4.  COROLLARY VOTING ISSUES.

In addition to ballot design, there are other issues about how what
procedure is used when there is no absolute majority on a question which
can have only one choice.  We should no what will be done before the vote
has taken place and not be choosing a method afterwords when the question
arises.

The aim should be to maximise voter preferences and not eliminate
preferences and choice with oversimplification.  Ranked ballots allow
sophisticated voting preference analysis to determine outcomes with a
simple ballot but people need to understand the process.

See "Preferential voting",
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferential_voting ; and other related
articles such as "Condorcet method",
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method , and "Schulze method" ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method in Wikipedia.  Several
software projects use the Schulze method and variations on it.

4.  ACTUAL EFFECT.

I will explain in another thread thread that a Koha foundation cannot
govern the development process in free software project because it would
not be free software in such a case.  However, popular vote should be able
to decide key questions in areas in which people give it the resources,
such as trademarks, internet domain names, and whatever else people
contribute over which a Koha foundation could exercise control and use to
the benefit of everyone.

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D