[Koha] First things first for a Koha foundation

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Mon Oct 12 08:48:23 NZDT 2009

Hi Mark,

2009/10/11 Mark Osborne <mosborne at ashs.school.nz>:
> The fork has occurred, and LL has the trademark and the domain. One
> unpleasant possibility is a rebirth for Koha. If LL owns the domain, they
> effectively own the trademark.

As I have pointed out previously: The domain follows the trademark
according to precedence established by prior domain name disputes.

The (US) trademark issue is contestable and probably with a good
possibility of regaining it if (note the subjunctive) it finally comes
down to that. It may (again note the subjunctive) be that when
approached by an organization with vested authority to speak on the
community's behalf, LL will hand over both.

It would appear that talk of renaming, re-domaining Koha are
premature. The real issue at hand is for the community to vest
authority in an organization (HLT imho) ASAP. Then we can get on with
the next urgent issue: that of trademark/domain name.

Kind Regards,
Chris