[Koha] Koha demo links on koha.org

Walls, Ian Ian.Walls at med.nyu.edu
Sat Oct 10 02:45:10 NZDT 2009

If the community wishes to link to Koha derivatives IN ADDITION TO mainline Koha, then fine, but it should be clearly labeled as such.  I think we can all agree that when a link on koha.org says "Demo of Koha", it demonstrates what you get when you download and install Koha.

I think some of the root of this problem is that LibLime considers (or really wants to consider) itself to BE the Koha community.  I believe that LEK is not a fork to them; it's just the natural progression of the software, and Koha is the fork.  If Koha wasn't continuing to develop, or just developing slowly in a the middle of a long-term stable release, this attitude might better match reality, but since Koha is about to jump to 3.2, LEK is what's going off in its own direction. If/when a LEK tarball is released, perhaps the idea is that it will be so amazing, so perfect and so difficult to merge with Koha, that Koha will just replace itself with LEK, and we'll all move forward together again.

Again, just my opinions, but these thoughts have been brewing for some time, and it feels good to express them.

-Ian