[Koha] Koha demo links on koha.org

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Fri Oct 9 15:21:42 NZDT 2009

While it is certainly inappropriate for the only linked demonstrations to
not include running community versions of the code, I agree with Nicole
Engard in not asking for the removal of LibLime demonstration links, at
least at this time.  Rather than merely encouraging links to many
demonstrations from particular support companies, I suggest that the
support companies volunteer and/or co-operate in producing some especially
good community demonstrations which are not an advertisement for any
particular support company.  The French demonstrations at the French Koha
website, http://www.koha-fr.org/ , are run by BibLibre but they do not
contain anything which could be construed as an advertisement for
BibLibre.

Community demonstrations which do not advertise support services via
logins, URLs, or other means should be listed first.  If some have an
interest in providing other demonstrations which may be of interest for
providing different configuration examples but may contain some subtle
advertisement then those should be listed afterwords with some appropriate
label separating them.

Removing the only demonstrations now would be counter-productive.
Furthermore, we should not push LibLime further away from the rest of the
Koha community than they are taking themselves.  We should welcome any
change of stance that they might have on community participation in future
without holding anything against them.

There had been a time when the only English community demonstrations were
provided by LibLime and as long as no one else was offering any others it
was difficult to question their use as advertising for one particular
support company.  There are now other options and interested people should
put those forward.

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D