[Koha] Cusat library adopts free software

Vimal Kumar vimal0212 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 20:31:44 NZDT 2009

KOCHI: Cochin University of Science and Technology (Cusat) library is taking
the free software route thanks to ‘Koha’, an integrated library system being
extensively used in libraries across the country and abroad.

The engineering library of the university has been fully computerised using
this free software.

Surendran Cherukodan, Junior Librarian at the School of Engineering, Cusat,
said that ‘Koha’ has many advantages and can be downloaded from the Internet
free of cost.

Highlights

Some of the highlights of the free software include simple, clear interface
for librarians and members, customisable search, circulation and borrower
management, full acquisitions system including budgets and pricing
information, simple acquisitions system for the smaller library, and ability
to cope with any number of branches, patrons, patron categories, item
categories, items, currencies and other data.

Mr. Cherukodan said that around 30,000 books owned by the School of
Engineering library can be searched through the ‘Koha’ online catalogue.

The library catalogue is available on http://soelibrary.cusat.ac.in. The
software will also update on the books available with the users and its date
of return.
Digital library

The university has also set up a digital library by using ‘D Space’, another
free software. Over 2,300 documents have been collected for the benefit of
students and faculty members using this facility.

Some of the documents available in the digital library include research
papers of faculty members, seminar and project reports, syllabus of courses
and contents of various journals.

The digital library also has nearly 1,500 previous question papers for the
benefit of students.

Cusat digital library will be available on http://dpsace.cusat.ac.in/dspace.

News Courtesy: www.hindu.com
http://www.hindu.com/2009/11/22/stories/2009112252250600.htm