[Koha] Kohacon10 dates, straw poll

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Nov 24 11:16:27 NZDT 2009

Excerpts from ed c's message of Tue Nov 24 10:59:41 +1300 2009:

> I'd prefer the November date. One thing to keep in mind for the USA folks, it
> either has the problem, or advantage, of being the same week as their
> Thanksgiving (November 25 in 2010). That said, I'm not sure what holidays may
> be in effect for the rest of the world, so that may easily be canceled out by
> some other holiday for some other country that takes place in October.
>
> The reason why I prefer the November date is October is already stacked full of
> conferences (both in North America and Europe anyway). Also, while the flights
> might be slightly more in November, if I'm going to fly all that way (and most
> likely have to spend my own money), I'd rather go in November when it is closer
> to the New Zealand summer (which Air New Zealand claims to be December -
> February).

November runs you into summer holidays for NZ universities and high
schools. The prices of flights will be significantly more expensive, as
will the price of accommodation and internal travel.

I live here, so that doesn't affect me at all, but definitely something
to bear in mind for any people coming from overseas.

Also the 28th of November is the NZ National Library conference in
Dunedin, so those dates would rule out any of the NZ Koha libraries who
wanted to stay for the workshops section.

I think I'm pretty much talking myself into the October dates I'm afraid
Ed.

Chris
--
Chris Cormack