[Koha] Koha trademarks

Nicolas Morin nicolas.morin at biblibre.com
Wed May 20 22:15:16 NZST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

>> > I'm also not sure why the trademarks are in corporate hands when we
>> > have established users groups that are certainly more objective.
>> I don't think that the user groups are legal entities are they? The
>> registration of trademarks I think possibly predated the user groups as
>> well.
>
> KohaLA ASBL in France is a legal entity that could own them AFAICT and
> isn't a vendor or a client.  It predates at least the most recent
> registration.

Kohala is a very loose organization. Membership is not defined :
anybody can become a voting member, SirsiDynix can become a voting
member! Jay Jordan can become a voting member! (not that he would
care, but, you know...). The board is not defined : there is not a
defined number of members to the board, basically anyone willing to
put his/her name forward only needs his/her own voice to be elected.
Members of the board are : anyone willing to help out.
Kohala was never meant to be a power-yielding entity : it was always
meant to be a place for free-wheeling discussions about Koha, nothing
more, nothing less.
So I don't think Kohala could own the TM, no.
Nicolas