[Koha] [Koha-translate] [Koha-devel] Announcing ... Newkoha.org Website based on Plone

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Wed May 13 06:45:04 NZST 2009

Reply inline:

On Tue, May 12, 2009 4:50 pm, Joshua Ferraro wrote:

[...]

1.  SUPPORT COMPANIES FOR WHICH SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTIONS ARE
UNDER-REPRESENTED.

> Can you please list some specific examples of support vendors on that
> page who's contributions are under-represented? That would really help
> because we could add those contributions directly to the page.

I only know of significant contributions in the parts of the code which I
have studied and taken a particular interest.  Contributions of LibLime,
BibLibre, and Tamil are certainly under-represented.  I suspect that at
least half of the companies listed under pay for support are
under-represented for significant contributions.

2.  NO SMALL FIXES ADEQUATE.

The absence of information in the current presentation is not  helpful in
distinguishing expertise.  However, the abundance of information which
would be necessary to fairly distinguish one company from another for
contributions would transform a support companies directory into a
features list.  Such information should be moved to an attribution
document.

A reasonably constrained set of annotations specified according to an
agreed formal set of rules and supplied or calculated from value lists
wherever possible should be substituted for the current presentation of
contributions from support companies.

An attribution document should be developed to give everyone due
attribution for significant contributions.

3.  DEVELOPMENT GOALS.

Ideally, we should all hope for a Koha development community which would
become so rich and vibrant that even the most major contributor would have
not even contributed 1% of the code base.  The current presentation of
information in the pay for support page is not the way to encourage the
development of such a rich and vibrant Koha community.

4.  RECOMMEDATION FOR THIS MOMENT.

Until there is a consensus in favour of a particular presentation or set
of presentations, the pay for support page should reverted to the previous
presentation which was certainly not ideal but allowed people to do their
work without being bothered excessively about how it was presented.

5.  MORE IMPORTANT PROBLEMS.

Major navigation and browser compatibility issues should be receiving more
attention at this time.  They have not been receiving the attention they
deserve because of the divisive instance on going live with a new website
which has not been properly tested and for which some important content
has no consensus.

The top navigation links are not even readable in Internet Explorer which
is still the majority web browser in the world and one which many
libraries force upon patron and librarian terminals alike.  Who would be
choosing Koha when they cannot even navigate the Koha website?  What
impression of Koha does the failure of the website to function properly
give to most potential visitors?

[...]

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme