[Koha] Koha trademarks

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue May 12 04:56:57 NZST 2009

"Lenora Oftedahl" <OFTL at critfc.org> wrote:
> So, how do we start a Koha Foundation?  Is it simply filling out
> paperwork and registering as a non-profit?  I'll be happy to start looking
> into this and talking with a lawyer I know who might be willing to give
> free advice.

Anyone can fill out paperwork and register as a non-profit, but we
need to agree how it will work.

There are at least four proposals made in the last three years that I
remember, which maybe illustrate the range of views:-

1. I suggested applying to become an associated project of SPI-Inc.org
so that we have a vendor-neutral foundation to hold assets until we
have another foundation - appoint Kaitiaki as liaison - I think some
suggested that being part of a technical/philanthropic foundation,
even temporarily, would be harmful for our reputation among
librarians;

2. someone else (Andres?) suggesting applying to become an Apache.org
project - I'm not keen because this would change the way the project
works in several ways to fit the Apache model, but maybe that's better
than our current practices;

3. I suggested forming a not-for-profit cooperative using model rules
- my favourite, but some people flat-out objected;

4. Joshua has directed LibLime to draft paperwork and register as a
non-profit, but I don't think we've seen the draft yet - I feel this
underestimates the amount of work in operating a non-profit, but I'm
willing to help with it and hope we can involve the wider community.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef).  LMS developer and supporter for a small, friendly