[Koha] RFC: relicense wiki.koha.org

Ben Finney ben+koha at benfinney.id.au
Thu May 7 02:42:27 NZST 2009

Galen Charlton <galen.charlton at liblime.com>
writes:

> * The Koha manual is licensed under the GPL, and a CC-BY-NC-SA license
> is not compatible, making it questionable whether content from the
> wiki can be incorporated into the manual.
[…]

> Consequently, I propose that we relicense the wiki under the Creative
> Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license
> (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/). As with the current
> license, this means that wiki content can be reused, but only with
> proper attribution and the requirement that derivative works be
> available under a compatible license.

But it also doesn't solve the incompatibility between the Koha manual,
licensed under GPL, and the Wiki content.

Why not license the wiki content also under GPL? Then the same license
terms apply to all the software: programs, documentation, and wiki.

> Relicensing would require the consent of those who have made
> significant edits to the wiki.

Yes. Thanks for giving the details of what's needed.

> Comments on the substance of the proposal or the proposed voting
> procedure are welcome.

I'm very much in favour of moving to license terms that make managing
the whole project smoother.

--
 \     “He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let |
  `\              that fool you. He really is an idiot.” —Groucho Marx |