[Koha] Koha Interface

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Mon May 4 20:21:59 NZST 2009

Hi Melanie,
> I really need to change the files since the "higher ups" wanted a
> complete change of the koha interface. I did try some of the things in
> the blog that you mention. I still need a complete change though...
Make sure that you send a memo (or whatever makes it an "official"
warning in your organisation) to your higher ups, and get them to sign
off on it, that they understand that they will be committing to spending
the same amount again  (time/money), every time they want to upgrade
Koha, and sometimes even when you just need to patch it - or they will
be "stuck" in this version of Koha. Do this to cover your own butt!

Then you need to allow yourself a good 30-40 hours to change templates,
and be prepared that you might end up unexpectedly breaking the OPAC and
need to start again.

It can be done, and is usually fiddly rather than difficult,  but just
make sure you won't get the blame for Koha costing more to maintain in
the future than they have likely budgeted/planned on.

We do customisations like that for small corporate libraries sometimes,
and typically it means they don't upgrade often (if ever) between major
website redevelopment projects.

Good luck

Cheers
Rachel

> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Chris Cormack
> <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz <mailto:chris at bigballofwax.co.nz>> wrote:
>
>     2009/5/4 Melanie Saldua <reilied00 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:reilied00 at gmail.com>>:
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > I know I'm flooding the mailing list but I have another
>     question. I want to
>     > really modify the interface of koha OPAC but I don't know where
>     to start. I
>     > just don't want to change the logo and headers. I really want to
>     customized
>     > my whole OPAC website (change the codes etc). I tried to change
>     the css and
>     > tmpl files but I can't see the results. The manual provides
>     little info. I
>     > can't understand what the wiki on koha template style guide. Can
>     anyone
>     > help? I really don't know where to start. How do you change the
>     interface of
>     > koha? What files do I have to change?
>     >

>     Hi Melanie,
>
>     I would strongly recommend against changing files unless you are
>     prepared to maintain the changes with each new version of Koha.
>     Instead I recommend reading
>     http://www.myacpl.org/koha/?p=160
>     And the rest of the great posts on Owen's blog.
>
>     Chris

Rachel Hamilton-Williams
General Manager
Katipo Communications Ltd