[Koha] Patron permissions questions

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Sat May 2 13:57:01 NZST 2009

2009/5/1 Agnes Rivers-Moore <arm at hanover.ca>

> Hello all
>
> I work with a few libraries testing Koha, and a question has come up
> about setting permissions for "patrons".
>
> As I understood this, permissions are for staff accounts only, to
> control their use of the staff client modules, based on their login. I
> see in the list of permissions that there is one flag (permissions) to
> set user permissions, and another (staffaccess) to modify permissions
> for staff users, and this confuses me as they seem to be the same.

NOTE: I'm assuming you're using 3.0

staffaccess controls whether you can delete staff members, change their
passwords, or change the permissions for staff users. Note, however, that
Koha's definition of a staff user is one that is in a category that has the
type Staff. Koha has a hierarchy of types; for instance, under the
Professional type, you might have Professor and Teacher's Aide categories.

It has been noticed that the permissions screen exists for all patron
> types, and I have had some confused questions about whether staff have
> to check the "Borrow books" permission before anything can be checked
> out to a new patron, and why we need a "staff" type at all if any patron
> can be set to use the staff client.
> I can see their point, so I am wondering:

> Has anyone used permissions for patrons who are not on staff, and if so
> what for?
>
> Could this screen be set not to appear except for specific patron types,
> e.g. "Staff" (even for superlibrarians)?
>
> Thank you all,
> Agnes
>
> --
>
> Agnes Rivers-Moore
> Assistant Librarian
> Hanover Public Library

I think the main uses for the Staff patron type are statistical tracking
(you might want to omit staff checkouts or consider them differently) and
different issuing rules. For example, you might not want to charge your
staff fines on their checked out books, or allow them to check out more
books. Also, the category of a patron is much more visible than which
permissions they have. There might be other ways in which Koha specially
treats staff patrons that I'm not aware of, though.

You _could_ customize the toolbar so that the Set Permissions menu item only
appeared for certain categories, but it would take some coding.

--
Jesse Weaver