[Koha] Koha 3.0 : item types or CCodes (again - sorry ..)

Adrea Lund adrea at moablibrary.org
Tue Mar 17 07:05:31 NZDT 2009

"A biblio with N items can map to N different itype (and N different ccode
values).  How would you pick which one(s) you want on the results page?"

I understand the issue with large libraries/consortia, and I am not a
developer or programmer, but I think the following suggestion could still
work...?

My suggestion is a system preference that lets the library choose what
criteria (if any) will pull icons that show up on the OPAC search results
page.  (with at least 4 options) - 1) icons based on ccodes  2) icons based
on item types  3) icons based on info in the MARC record - format, audience,
etc.  4) no icons at all.

1)  The ccode icon would be pulled from the 1st item under the bib record
and displayed on the search results page.  My understanding was that in KOHA
2, libraries could set up ccode icons which would show up on the search
results screen? If this is true, I thought that there might be quite a few
libraries who were disappointed when KOHA 3 removed these icons from the
search results page.  These folks might choose to base their search results
icons on ccodes.

2) The item type icon would be pulled from the 1st item under the bib record
and displayed on the search results page.  Libraries with detailed item
types might choose to display icons based on item type. I think this is the
option my library might choose.

3) and 4) Large libraries/consortia with multiple ccodes and item types for
1 bib record, could choose to base their icons on info in their MARC
records, or have no icons at all.

Having icons on the search results page is really really helpful when you
are searching and want to know at a glance whether you are looking at a book
on cd, dvd, book on cassette, video etc.   A new system preference like this
could allow libraries both large and small to display icons based on
criteria of their own choosing or on their MARC records.

I'm very interested if folks still see problems with this suggestion, maybe
I am misunderstanding the issues.  I'm trying to figure out a way for
libraries with less than perfect MARC records to have good icons which can
differentiate between formats - for example btw a book on cd and a book on
cassette.

Have a great day,

Adrea

Adrea Lund