[Koha] Koha 3.0 : item types or CCodes (again - sorry ..)

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 11:59:55 NZDT 2009

Adrea --

I think it is worth reiterating one of the major points Owen mentioned and
Josh fleshed out in detail.

The search results page does not display individual items (and imho should
not).  It displays summary level information about items.  Wanting to use
icons from the item-level data (items.ccode or items.itype) on the results
page requires the implementer to resolve something like this problem:

A biblio with N items can map to N different itype (and N different ccode
values).  How would you pick which one(s) you want on the results page?

You probably think, "well all our items would be the same itype", but this
is just a coincidence of your data.  The problem is more obvious in larger
systems or consortia with a lot of independently minded members, where you
can have hundreds of items on a record with many different itypes.  Building
a system to show the title-level hit with any *one* item-level icon is
essentially setting it up to be "wrong".  But do we want a half dozen or
more different icons (i.e., one for each)?  Probably not.

Nobody has suggested a logical solution to that problem except using the
title-level data, despite the consensus is that the MARC representations are
inaccurate and unweildy.  But without a logical fix, there isn't any point
discussing what technology to use to implement it.

--Joe