[Koha] Simplifying Koha records

Joann Ransom jransom at library.org.nz
Fri Mar 6 10:52:35 NZDT 2009

Hi Cris,

Don't dispair. Koha will be fine for a small library.

We too are preparing to move our collection over to Koha 3.x. We have
never bothered with marc before and our records have only bare minimum
cataloguing too. We have hired Mason from KohaAloha (who lurks on the
list) to undertake a process which takes the record from our current
system, grabs a marc record from National Library, and pops it into the
new Koha 3.0 database. So it can be done very simply through an import
process.

Or, I suspect you could grab the records using z39.50 process once you
have the bare bones records imported into the database from your
exisitng collection.

Given that you have only 1500 items it is feasible that you could
actually add them in manually rather than import if thats not an option
for you.

I'd add an order for each item using the acquisitions module, then
receive them all, thus adding the bar codes, replacement costs etc, and
then catalogue them using the z39.50 feature.

I am sure someone else will be able to suggest a path to take as well.

Regards,

Joann Ransom.