[Koha] Wayfinding maps based on collection code (location)

Darrell Ulm darrellulm at smfpl.org
Wed Mar 4 05:28:10 NZDT 2009

> I just realized that I may have misunderstood what you were suggesting
> that the authorized value be linked to - if the maplink is an
> attribute of the library (or collection code, or shelving location),
> that gets us the level of indirection I suggested.  A scheme that
> could take the call number into a account would still be nice, though,
> as it would help a library that has taken the effort to make a
> detailed map of their collection.
>
> Regards,
>
> Galen

Galen,

Yes, the collection code would be a nice feature. This is a pretty simple
mapping. I think a editable table would be the way to go as the authorized
values cannot contain everything (or can they?). One could encode everything
into an authorized value entry, but it would not be easy for administrators to
deal with.

So we will likely need a small new table with the entries and a new simple
interface. It would be really nice to also offer to upload many types of
content, like Flash. Technically, entries could link to a inline YouTube video
player and have someone virtually walk them to the location although we intend
to use Flash since the tools we have simplify the creation of animated maps.
Still, even static maps would be a nice feature.

Just wondering, what is the standard way to proceed on this. Are the design
plans located in the wiki?

Thanks again.
Darrell Ulm