[Koha] How to import non ascii characters with z3950

Thommy M. thommy.m.malmstrom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 04:55:35 NZDT 2009

When I install Koha (3.0.1) on Ubuntu 8.04 following the instructions on
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=koha_3_install_guide_ubuntu_hardy I
almost manage to get everything working but Z39.50 import. I want to use
 this source for my MARC records
http://www.kb.se/libris/teknisk-information/libris-via-Z3950/ which
states these parameters:
Protokollversion: 3
IP-adress: z3950.libris.kb.se
Port nr: 210
Databas: libr
Services: INITIALIZE, SEARCH, PRESENT, CLOSE, SORT, NAMED RESULT SETS,
DELETE RESULT SET, EXPLAIN
Typ av sökning: 1 (RPN)
Attributset: Bib-1
Postsyntax:  MARC21, SUTRS
Teckenset: ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1)
Posttyper: Full, Brief

So I choose MARC21 in Koha. When i comes to look up an ISBN number I
find the book and I can import it, but when I look at the text the
characters outside ASCII does not look the way I expect. They are only a
black rectangle with a white question mark in it.

So, again, how can I make Koha import non ASCII characters? I've set
utf-8 everywhere in browser,locale,MySQL... Or do I have to make my
installation all Latin one as z3950.libris.kb.se says its charset is ISO
8859-1 (Latin-1) ???