[Koha] Saving MARC records very slow

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Mon Jun 29 23:50:55 NZST 2009

> This was covered on the list a while back -- in Firefox it was taking
> 40-50 s on our staff clients to save records.
>
> I don't believe a diagnosis or fix were ever found for the Firefox issue.

It's not a Firefox issue per se, it's a JavaScript issue. When you
save a MARC record Koha uses JavaScript to validate all the fields in
the entry form--usually a lot of them! That takes time, and makes the
browser appear unresponsive while it's processing. Chrome will be
faster than Firefox 3 because its JavaScript parser is faster. But
Firefox will be faster than Internet Explorer.

So the solution isn't a browser-specific fix, but a general one of optimization.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries