[Koha] MARC fields: server-independent URLs

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 04:23:55 NZST 2009

It sounds like you are talking about integration with some kind of external
content fileserver.  That's definitely out of scope for Koha presently.

Rewrite rules can be used to make koha local addresses map to remote ones.
This would be advisable to keep the data free from the particular
implementation, domainname or address of your fileserver.  Koha itself can't
do this automatically, of course, since it doesn't know anything about your
fileserver.

What you might want to work on would be a process where the file is loaded
into the fileserver along with the biblionumber.  Then you can work on a
report from the fileserver to mechanically generate 856$u fields paired with
the biblionumber for loading back into Koha.  Or if the destination filepath
are deterministically based on the biblionumber, then you can map the target
mechanically using Apache rules, and all you'd need was an 856 plugin for
cataloging.

--
Joe Atzberger
LibLime - Open Source Library Solutions