[Koha] Reference books & books for loan

Kathy Rippel kdr at ckls.org
Wed Jun 10 04:55:02 NZST 2009

To build on Ian's answer....

Many of our libraries use an item-type of "ref" and also one like "book".

You can set up your circulation rules for each so
that the program knows whether or not to
circulate the item. If you want patrons to know
at a glance which are "Reference", then put
something in the call number (or Shelving
Location) like R, Ref, Reference, etc.

Kathy

At 08:30 AM 6/12/2009, Walls, Ian wrote:

>You’ll need to assign your non-circulating books
>to one Item Type, and your circulating books to
>another (you could use more Item Types if you
>need to make more distinctions for statistical
>purposes).  If you do not want to burden your
>patrons with this distinction in the OPAC, you
>can then define a CCODE (in Authorized Values)
>for Books, assign both circulating and
>non-circulating books to that CCODE, and switch
>the AdvancedSearchTypes system preference (in
>the Searching tab) from ‘itemtypes’ to ‘ccode’.
>
>This is assuming you aren’t already using CCODE for something else

>Hope this helps,
>

>Ian Walls
>Systems Integration Librarian
>NYU Health Sciences Libraries
>(212) 263-8687

Kathleen D. Rippel
Dept. Head/Consultant--Resource Sharing and Access ;
Pathfinder Central (Manager)
Central Kansas Library System
1409 Williams
Great Bend, KS 67530

(620-792-4865) phone
(800-362-2642) toll-free, KS
(620-792-5495) fax

kdr at ckls.org
I'm currently reading: Unmasked, by C. J. Barry.
I'm currently listening to: Eclipse, by Stephenie Meyer.