[Koha] Phone notification system & Koha

Reed Wade reedwade at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 16:00:28 NZST 2009

Hi,

Yes, this is very doable using an open source PBX called Asterisk
(http://www.asterisk.org/).

I'm fairly new to Koha but I don't see any obstacles to it.

I have built a simple Amazon lookup service using it that would read
off the product description if you key in an ISBN via touch tone. It
would also send and email to the user if they'd previously registered
using their caller id info.

Things to know are that touch tone input is easy to handle. Voice
input is not. Generating spoken word output works great when you
already know the words you'll use (and so can provide recordings you
already know sound nice). Computer generated speech is often good
enough but there can be some rough edges.

See http://cepstral.com/
this is a very low cost and good quality text to speech generator
($30USD) that integrates with Asterisk and is the one I used for the
Amazon service. There's some demos there which will give you an idea
of what you can expect for free text reading.

One nice option with an Asterisk based system is it can all be voice
over IP and so you need not purchase any physical phone lines if you
don't want to.

-reed