[Koha] Koha and MODS

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Wed Jun 3 02:37:14 NZST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Nicholas W <4407 at log1.net> wrote:
>  We are currently evaluating Koha in our organization, and also soon
> will be implementing a fedora-repository commons repository where we
> may use MODS http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/  for storing
> bibliographic data. My question is Koha likely to support MODS for
> import and export of bibliographic data in the near future.

Koha currently lets you download bib records converted to various
XML-based metadata formats, including MODS, one at a time.  It would
not be difficult to make a batch MODS exporter, and if you're OK with
the default MODS to MARC21 stylesheet [1], a MODS import wouldn't be
hard to do either.

Although there is a desire to enhance Koha so that it can natively
store bibliographic metadata in formats other than MARC, that will be
further down the road.

Regards,

Galen

[1] http://www.loc.gov/standards/marcxml/xslt/MODS2MARC21slim.xsl