[Koha] New Koha Virtual Appliances Available

Vincent Danjean vdanjean.ml at free.fr
Wed Jun 3 01:21:07 NZST 2009

Paul Yachnes wrote:
> I get:
>
> [    5.983780] eth0:  registered as PCnet/FAST III 79C973
> [    9.614702]  udev:  renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
>
> Then, sudo ifconfig:
>
> I still don't get an network ip address, just a local address.
>
> Paul

I never use Virtual Appliances but it seems that in this linux system
eth0 is renamed to eth1.
If this is a Debian system, this is probably due to the fact that
an eth0 interface is already 'registrered' by udev so udev register this
interface with the next number (eth1).
  Interface are registered according to their MAC address. I do not know
at all how the MAC address of the interface is created.
  Registered interfaces are listed (with MAC address and name) in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

  To fix this, I see several solutions :
- use eth1 everywhere instead of eth0 (not easy if you do not know what
  to modify exactly. /etc/network/interfaces would be one of such places)
- remove /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (at least the line with
  the wrong eth0 AND the line with eth1 if it has been created) => next boot
  udev will pick the first number (eth0) for the interface
- wait a new image where /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules has been
  removed
- modify your configuration so that the interface gets the MAC address
  written in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules for eth0

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean                 Adresse: Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble
Téléphone:  +33 4 76 61 20 11            ENSIMAG - antenne de Montbonnot