[Koha] How to make custom framework the default?

Nelson Fredsell nelson at cfce.org.za
Fri Jul 31 05:35:54 NZST 2009

Melisa Canales wrote:

> Hello all,
> 1.  How can I make our custom framework be the default selected framework
> when adding a new record?

When adding I've learned to use either More | Cataloging at the top of the
screen or to click on the word "Cataloging" on the right (above the bullet
item Add MARC Record).  In this way we come to a screen with a button for
New Record, but the Default Framework is not loaded. We then choose the
appropriate custom framework.

We used to click on the bullet "Add MARC Record" such that the Default
Framework is loaded.  Then we chose a different custom framework to use.
Africa!  We deleted many unnecessary tags and as a result the load time for
the framework was greatly reduced.  (The manual says to avoid deleting tags,
http://koha.org/documentation/manual/3.0/administration/catalog-administration/marc-bibliographic-frameworks,
but I think we needed to do this for performance issues.)

Back to your question about a custom Default Framework.  Where the large
Koha Default Framework (KDF) is a real pain for us is when we want to update
an existing MARC record.  I've not found a way to avoid loading the KDF at
this time, so we have to wait 30 seconds every time we want to update a
record.  *Then* we choose the custom framework we need for our purposes, and
move on to post-migration updating.

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question (I would if I could!), but it is a
very relevant issue for us as well and I wanted to comment.

Nelson Fredsell

implementing a union catalogue
in Cape Town, South Africa