[Koha] What if mysql stops being around?

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Thu Jul 23 03:46:09 NZST 2009

Indranil Das Gupta a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> These last couple of hours, i've been trying to access different
> *.mysql.com sites (for my non-Koha work). None of them responding to a
> http request. I'm not being a fear-monger or crystal gazer here, but
> I'm dependent on MySQL for several apps that i commercially support,
> which includes Koha.
>
> I wonder just how ready or MySQL dependent are we (Koha users) as a
> community, just in case, Oracle decides to stop further work on MySQL?
> I'm aware of efforts like Drizzle. But how are we positioned w.r.t
> MySQL deps and what could hypothetically could be a possible life
> after MySQL (if it ever comes to that)

yes, of course, there is a possible life after mySQL, and it's called
PostgreSQL. Someone worked on porting koha here some months ago, with
some success. Although it's not heavily tested, if we had to switch
here, that should not be a deadly thing.
But i don't think that it will be necessary. And I'm sure mysql.com will
be up again tomorrow morning and we will learn that the DNS or Apache or
whatever-you-want had a major problem today

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com