[Koha] as_usmarc error / biblio encoding

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at snv.jussieu.fr
Fri Jul 17 07:26:45 NZST 2009

Hi Rachel & all,

> I did check a couple of
> random biblios and found that those checked had 000/9 set as
> UCS/Unicode.

So here you mean that the records you already have in your catalogue
have the same value in their leader 009 than the record you have just
downloaded. Is that correct ?

> Thank you for suggesting $ yaz-marcdump, I will leave that to my geek.

Good idea IMHO.

> The "can't call method 'as_usmarc' on an undefined value" error is a
> bit annoying and we are seeing it more now.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Reading your original post, I
thought you had a problem with just one freshly downloaded record. With
this sentence I get the impression that the problme may affect several
records.

> For instance, "resumes"
> and "jobs" searches result in the error but "640.14" searches show the
> materials. Searching "atlas" and "maps" has the error but "map" does
> not as well as "medical" but not "medical dictionary."

Do you mean this happens when the record you have downloaded is in the
catalogue and it didn't happen before it was imported ?

> I read
> somewhere that the error may have something to do with an
> incompatibility with Marc favors in the database. Whatever the issue,
> I'd like it to be resolved and am not sure where to start.

Perhaps these nasty encoding things should be tackled by your computer
scientist rather than you ?
I hope you are not taking the quesiton in a bad way. What I mean is that
these kind of problems are difficult ones for whoever is not familiar
with the area of encodings...

Hope you will solve your problem soon.

Best wishes,
Sébastien.