[Koha] biblionumber and biblioitemnumber

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 08:52:54 NZST 2009

2009/7/15 Library Guy <library.guy.zero at gmail.com>

> What is the reasoning/advantage for assigning both a biblionumber and
> a biblioitemnumber?  In my test database they are always identical.
> Would there ever be an example where they would differ, and if not,
> why the duplication?
>
> James

In the past, it was actually a three-level hierarchy; each biblio had
multiple biblioitems, which in turn had multiple items. Nowadays, biblio and
biblioitems perform much the same function, but the split remains. (There
was a proposal to merge the two tables, but I'm not sure what's happening
with that.)

Note that biblionumber and biblioitemnumber are _usually_ equal, but it's
not safe for the code to assume so. There are situations where they get out
of sync.

--
Jesse Weaver