[Koha] authority control and cataloging

Anna Kågedal anna.kagedal at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 22:16:40 NZST 2009

Dear all,

I am a librarian with hardly any cataloging experience since library school,
and I am now trying to learn how to catalog in Koha 3.0 that we are
implementing in our school library. (We are changing from an old follett
system).

I have some problems, one of my major problems is the authority control for
example Personal names. I understand the value, but I can't get it to work?
It is there as a default, but I don't understand how to add the authority to
search in? And I read some instructions that if no authority record is
found, I'm supposed to be able to enter the author name manually, but I
can't do that. The 100 9 and 100 a continues to be grey and non-writable. Is
there a database to upload for this authority control ?

Since our catalog is quite messy to begin with, we already have the problem
of names entered differently, but with the smart search in koha I don't find
it as problematic as in our old system, so I am thinking of "turning"
authority control off. Problem is I don't understand how to do that either.

Anyone who can help out?

Anna

Anna Kågedal
Kodaikanal International School