[Koha] Multiple Web OPACs

Bavousett, David dBavousett at ptfs.com
Thu Jul 9 00:06:08 NZST 2009

Dale,

If the one on the mainland is intended to be read-only-just the OPAC, with no one placing reserves or anything-then you could do this pretty easily with a MySQL replication slave on the mainland server.  Tell the mainland OPAC to look to that slave server, and the one on the islands to look to the master.  Only the MySQL replication traffic would have to go back and forth.  When the net link is up and moving pretty well, the replication would be almost instant; MySQL can be taught to be tolerant of dodgy links, particularly on one-way replication like this.  The basic premise here is to let MySQL do the work of hauling the data across the water for you; neither Koha instance has to worry about it, and once it's set up and happy, neither do you.

Installing the whole Koha is easy, and separating out the OPAC would be a bit harder, so I'd just do that, and not define a web virtual host to point to the staff client pages.

Here's a link on setting up one-way asynchronous replication that might be some help to you:  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication.html

You present an interesting use case here; I hope it goes well for you.  Good luck!

J. David Bavousett

Open Source Software Engineer

P | T | F | S