[Koha] WITHDRAWN items shouldn't check in?

Mickey Coalwell mcoalwell at nekls.org
Tue Jul 7 04:53:38 NZST 2009

"Withdrawn" status currently blocks checkout from occurring. It seems to me
that "Withdrawn" status should also block check-in, prompting staff user with a
message "ITEM IS WITHDRAWN." The reason this is important: For some libraries,
LOST items older than x months cannot be returned, as a matter of policy. The
replacement cost is billed to the patron. Items LOST longer than x months will
be manually given a WITHDRAWN status by staff, in addition to LOST. This is
intended to prevent check-in of LOST items older than x months. But if
WITHDRAWN status allows check-in, then the Returned Item functionality in Fines
will credit the account with the replacement cost. This should ONLY happen for
items that are LOST, but NOT for items that are LOST/WITHDRAWN. I can't think
of a situation in which Koha should legitimately allow a WITHDRAWN item to
check in, so I'm reporting this as a bug rather than an enhancement; however,
I'm open to discussion. :)

Owen Leonard comments:

I don't have an opinion either way, but I want to point out that at the moment
there is no concrete definition of what "withdrawn" means in Koha. Some
libraries may already be using it in a way that conflicts with your
description. I hope folks will chime in, but it might be worth taking the issue
to the Koha list for wider discussion.

--
Mickey Coalwell, Library Development Consultant
Northeast Kansas Library System