[Koha] ‡biblios.net now available for free to all

Nicole Engard nicole.engard at liblime.com
Wed Jan 21 06:35:47 NZDT 2009

Fellow catalogers and Koha community members,

I have been spending a lot of time these last few months working on
getting a new web-based cataloging tool ready for you all.  It's
finally time! I'd like to invite you to sign up for free and try out
‡biblios.net (www.biblios.net) a community cataloging tool from
LibLime.

So, what the heck is it?  ‡biblios.net is a web-based original and
copy cataloging tool with built in federated search of any Z39.50
target (via an integrated search registry with over 2000 targets - or
by adding your own) and a large (30 million strong) shared database of
catalog records.  This means that you can visit ‡biblios.net and
benefit from the work of other catalogers who have gone before you.
You can also edit and contribute to the database without any
restrictions.

I have also worked on creating some macros (others can be written by
users) to help streamline some of our cataloging processes and
templates for common item types to make original cataloging a little
bit easier :) Best of all, you can set ‡biblios.net to automatically
add records to your Koha system with the click of a button!

I'm looking for both novice and professional catalogers to give me
their opinions of the tools, services and overall user friendliness of
‡biblios.net.  I am of course also looking for people to join the
community so that this tool and grow and help us all with our
cataloging work.

I have worked very closely with the development crew on this new tool
and believe very strongly both in it and the ideas behind it.  The
fact that we all work so very hard on our cataloging makes the fact
that the records in ‡biblios.net are freely-licensed under the Open
Data Commons (www.opendatacommons.org) all that more appealing.

If you want to learn more you can read through the documentation on
the site (www.biblios.net) and/or take a peek at this great write up
by Jonathan Rochkind:
http://bibwild.wordpress.com/2009/01/07/bibliosnet-and-the-future-of-cataloging/

Thank you so much! I can't wait to hear what you all think!!

Nicole C. Engard
Open Source Evangelist, LibLime

---

Nicole C. Engard