[Koha] Ubuntu based distro

John S. Moss jlinux at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 13:39:20 NZDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 10:45 +1100, Rick Welykochy wrote:
> > But I bet this conversation has already happened a dozen times, and
> > since I do not have the expertise to actually do all this, I will stop
> > arguing for it, however inevitable I think it is.
>
> The topic will not go away until the installation situation is resolved.
> As it stands, and judging from the number of comments and cries for help on
> this list, we have a way to go.
>
> I am in the process of writing up an RFC on the developer's Wiki that
> addresses as many of the different installation environments and situations
> I can think of.
>
> How can we / should we as a group proceed to discuss this RFC?
> For one thing, the discussion belongs on Koha-developers.
> Or is there room for input from librarians and non-techies ?
>

> cheers
> rickw

I would imagine there is room for input from Librarians and non-techies,
since they will be the eventual end-users. Or don't non-librarians and
techies have room for that sort of input?

>From what I've read on this list and gathered from other sources there
is quite a lot of room for improvement to the installation process for
Koha. I have just managed to install LAMP on Ubuntu 8.04 after several
weeks of research. All went smoothly due to my extensive research and
documentation before I actually started the install process. The same
material I have been gathering for a Koha installation does not bode
well for such a smooth process as with the LAMP installation.

I know there are companies such as LibLime that will handle the
technical back-end of Koha, but not all companies can afford or will
want to go that route. Also, the dev list can be quite overwhelming to
the non-techies, such as myself.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,
John - a non-techie and non-librarian, but one tasked with installing
and maintaining Koha.